The ultimate guide to self-catering accommodationMarch 21, 2016
Wolwekrans – a magical mountain Recluse
- Tucked away amongst untouched mountains in the Schoemanskloof Valley, Wolwekrans Eco-Lodge offers unmatched serenity, stylish accommodation and some of the most spectacular views in Africa, making it a must-visit destination for travellers.
- Perched on a 1000 metre high mountain at eye-level with soaring eagles, the lodge boasts exceptionally private and well-equipped luxury chalets which are ideal for romantics, nature lovers and families alike. Just 2½ hours from Johannesburg, motorists turn off the N4 and make their way through Lowveld indigenous forest and Highveld topography to reach this magical recluse, finding themselves far away from the buzz of the city.
- Just as they did a century ago, the beautiful hills and valleys teem with wildlife such as eland, kudu, klipspringer, reedbuck, leopard, bushbuck and duiker.
- Tastefully built from natural stone, the chalets are havens of tranquillity, while providing optimum luxury for up to six people. Both large bedrooms have a comfortable double bed and an en-suite bathroom with a shower that features jaw-dropping views over valleys and mountains. Another bedroom has a bunk bed to accommodate children.
- The high roofs give an exceptionally spacious feel, while the kitchen is fully equipped for self-catering. Each chalet features a fireplace to keep you cosy on chilly alpine nights. When the weather is balmy (as it often is) guests can relax on a comfortably furnished patio with more magnificent views. You can also take advantage of a private boma to have unforgettable evening meals under a startlingly clear blanket of stars.
- The purpose here is to enjoy a complete breakaway from the stresses of modern life. Each chalet is 100% eco-friendly, with lighting provided by solar power and cooking powered by a gas stove. There are no plug points or televisions here, meaning that you can switch off your phone and allow the complete peace and quiet to seep into your soul. By the middle of 2016, private splash pools in each chalet will allow a soothing escape from hot summer’s days.
- The mountains around Wolwekrans are a natural paradise, with kilometres of beautiful hiking trails to explore. You can take a walk through the forests, spotting wildlife and prolific birdlife along the way, before arriving at a natural fountain with crystal clear water that is perfectly safe for drinking or taking a refreshing dip. Mountain bikers can bring along their bikes to enjoy the scenery, while the more adventurous should remember to bring their quad bikes. Alternatively, you can swing the day away in a secluded hammock, or take your picnic basket along for a peaceful picnic at the designated area. Early in 2016, a dam will be opened that will provide exciting fishing for anglers.
- Apart from boasting immense natural beauty, Wolwekrans is ideally situated close to the Sudwala Caves, the Croc Grove Crocodile Farm, Drakenzicht Golf Course, fishing venues, various quad biking operators and a host of other adventure activities, meaning that guests have plenty of options to fill their days. It is also a convenient stopover point for motorists travelling from Gauteng to the Kruger National Park or Mozambique.
Wolwekrans has received nothing but exceptional reviews from local and international guests, and has established itself as one of the best luxury eco-lodges in South Africa, so why not come and experience it yourself?